Friday 24 January 2014

A Spade a Marigold and a Curly Kale.


My Curly Kale with his friend Marigold.






Just prepared this long bed in the lovely sunshine...I'm thinking potatoes but don't hold me to it.




Another long bed on the right hand side allotment. I am going to let this bit be 'fallow' or as the farmers would say 'set aside'.  I am going to grow cover crops which will be a mix of perhaps 3 types.  Clover is a must as it is good at fixing nitrogen and producing bio-mass which this sandy soil badly needs.  I might let the cover crop grow on all year for maximum benefit, or dig it in after a few months.




My leaf muching corner.  I gather leaves in autumn and chop them with a lawn mower to help them to decompose. The leaves go in the compost bin, and supply the carbon that is essential to the composting process....without carbon compost easily becomes a sort of smelly sludge.




As I said in my previous post this is the year of the raised beds,  I am hoping for great things from them.  In the background you can see my 1000 litre water butt and my new wormery....well it is a plastic drum with a mixture of leaves, soil, compost and food waste....and worms.  I suppose I could call it a compost bin, but then compost bins are black, and this one is blue with holes drilled in it and a tap at the bottom.


Thanks for visiting my plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment