Tuesday 4 March 2014

Karmazyn Days

Well its March 4th, its sunny, and its a day to get busy down the allotment.  First job is to get the broadbean bed ready.  Set out a couple of lines, hoe down each side of the lines, and then use the 20cm interval guide to set them out.  I have set a bean each side of the line at a spacing of 20cm.  I only got as far as halfway down one line, and the bean packet was empty, so a visit to Wilkinsons is on the cards.


 Two long double rows of broadbeans,  I would guess the rows are at least 20 metres, so at my spacing of 2 every 20cm, I will be planting 200 beans per line, so that will be 400 beans....just enough.



I set the lines 24" apart, so plenty of space to walk down between the rows.  I used a 6ft length of wood with 20cm intervals marked out.


These are the peas I planted a few weeks ago.  They look quite comfortable sitting behind the glass, but sorry it is time you faced the big wide world outside, and make space for the brassicca seedlings. 



 A barrow full of peas ready to make their journey out into the big wide world.....will they survive...we will see.


 And now the new crew move into the cold frame.  March is the right time to do brassicas under glass, I just hope they will be warm enough in my make-do cold frame. We have cabbages, sprouts and cauliflower all in their seed trays.  Maybe in a couple of weeks time, the seeds will become seedlings, I will keep my fingers crossed.


Still lots of seeds to plant, but today was a good start.

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment